Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Yes, I cheated - but not against Mansfield: Liverpool's Luis Suarez fights his corner

Deliberate: Liverpool star Suarez confesses he DID dive in the Stoke game
Deliberate: Liverpool star Suarez confesses he DID dive in the Stoke game
Clive Brunskill
Luis Suarez has admitted cheating to try to help Liverpool win a match - but denied THAT handball against Mansfield was deliberate.
In an interview with an Argentinian TV station, Uruguay international Suarez confessed to diving in a a 0-0 draw with Stoke at Anfield last October - actions that led to him being blasted by Potters manager Tony Pulis.
"I don't tlisten to all the nonsense some people say about me," said Suarez.
"I'm accused of cheating here - people say I throw myself all the time inside the box.
"They said that when we played against Stoke, for instance. And in that case they were right.
"I invented a foul because we were drawing against Stoke and I wanted to win.
"Sometimes on the pitch I say to myself, 'What have I done?' But the name of Suarez sells papers."
The 25-year-old, whose personal rap-sheet also includes an infamous handball that helped Uruguay reach the semi-finals of the last World Cup and a ban for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra, drew fresh criticism last week over a controversial goal he scored in an FA Cup win over Mansfield.
The ball clearly hit Suarez's hand before he kicked it into the net, and opinions were divided over whether he did it deliberately.
Accident: Suarez insists he didn't do this on purpose

Clive Mason
 On the Mansfield row, the Liverpool hero added: "I touched the ball with my hand accidentally, and I was criticised because I kissed my hand [his normal goal celebration]."
Suarez also said that South American players - name-checking Manchester City duo Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero - are held to different standards in England than home-grown players.
"When someone comes and says to me something bad about being a South American, I don't cry, because that happens inside the pitch," he told Fox Sports Argentina.
"I have my conscience clean.
"It's complicated to play here in England. It's complicated for a South American footballer to be here as we are treated differently to the local footballers.
'But they have their culture, they are like this. I have to play football, which is what I always wanted, but I have suffered a lot for being a footballer."
Controversial Kop idol insists his handball FA Cup goal was an accident but admits he "invented a foul" in October's draw with Stoke





No comments:

Post a Comment